Cleaning will play a vital part in the tourist season this, year as it is most important to keep the houses safe and ourselves too. We are waiting for official confirmation in order to finalize the cleaning procedure, but we do have the following in place and a few tips available.
This procedure is open for discussion and was drafted with the help and feedback of many owners / cleaners like yourselves.
- Very thorough.
- Happens once during the client arrival only. Preferably the day before.
- Clients are never present. This is a very important rule. Should a mid clean be agreed for any reason, the client will need to leave the house for at least 8 hours.
- Linen and towels are provided extra for the whole stay.
We are still not sure what is best:
Should linen be lade on the beds or left next to the bed for the clients to use.
Your feedback is welcome.
- Cleaning is divided into 3 stages, adding an extra hour and a half of cleaning at a minimum.
- Pre-Cleaning (protects the cleaner)
- Mid-cleaning (main cleaning)
- After-Cleaning (protects the client)
- There is a 20 - 40 minutes delay between Pre and Mid Cleaning.
- There is at least a 20 minute delay between After-Cleaning and clients' arrival
- There is at least a 20 minute delay between Clients Departure and Pre-Cleaning
- Cleaners have to take the necessary precautions (glaves, masks, etc)
- Clients participate in the procedure by:
- Arriving exactly at the allowed time by the agency. This is specified to the client after confirmation from the cleaner.
- All aircon units need to be switched off on departure
- Windows should not be firmly shut, but left open on departure.
- During client's stay air-conditioning is operated with a window or door partially open.
- All rooms should be aired thoroughly during the day.
- Soaps, disinfectants etc are provided for the client's arrival. Clients are advise to bring their own with them.
A Practical Example
In order to visualize this, let's consider the following practical example:
- Client departs from the villa/apartment at 10am.
They are already instructed to leave the house windows open and to power down all air-conditioning units.
Client has let us know the exact time they have departed from the house.
- Cleaner arrives 10:20 the earliest and checks the above has been down.
If she/he finds the aircon operating needs to power down the house before entering.
Pre-Cleaning (protects the cleaner)
One of the first actions is to remove the aircon filters and put them in a washing basin to clean. During the summer it is difficult to clean without the aircon on. This step is to ensure that by the second step the aircon will be usable for the cleaner to use if she so desires.
A diluted disinfectant spray is used on all the common surfaces like keys, locks, balstraits, wash basins, door handles, chairs etc. The surfaces are let to dry out for about 10 mins or more. Also this spray should be used on sofa surfaces, armchairs, bedside walls up to a logical height and generally all other walls that can be accidentally touched.
The cleaner will then leave the house for 20 to 40 minutes and let the air-conditioning to operate while the house windows are open.
The cleaner will then go through and clean all the surfaces that were previously sprayed (where possible).
This is the normal cleaning that happens during every arrival. It is good to include a more thorough approach starting from bathrooms to kitchen to bedrooms and to the lounge area eventually.
More surfaces should be included that it is possible for people to use their hands on like the walls of the bedrooms, or narrow corridors up to a certain height.
Also kitchen chairs and stools. By the end of this stage, the cleaner will need to notify us that the house is ready for them to arrive.
This is highly recommended as this speeds up the cleaning and disinfecting process. This can also be used on mattresses, lounge covers etc.
After-Cleaning (protects the client)
This is a copy of the Pre-Cleaning, using exactly the same material that was used in Pre-cleaning. This material will be let to dry out for at least 20 mins before the houses are locked up for next clients arrival. Windows need to be left open so that the air circulates.
Special care should be taken to clean the keys of the property.
We will need to be aware of the exact times in order to put up a sign on the villa. We will add two hours either side, just in case.
If this involves someone entering the house, a certain procedure is followed:
- Clients should not be in the property during the procedure.
- We will collect enough information from the clients to make sure that the maintenance person fixes what has failed.
- The maintenance person will come in dressed in a uniform, a face shield, etc and undertake the maintenance task.
- We will to allow enough time for the maintenance person to arrive. In order to facilitate this, he/she can arrive the next day. As they too have to follow certain procedures. This will be made known to the clients.
- If it is a genuine emergency and client's presence is needed you must should try to exercise social distancing with the maintenance team.
- At some cases the cleaner might also arrive just after the maintenance person has come. We will make sure the client is aware of this.
This will probably happen certain ours in the afternoon. This will also be made known to the clients before hand.